The Collateral Management course is designed to provide a an solid understanding in the secure and controlled processing of collateral, with a focus on the operations aspects. Based on an element-by-element walk through of various stages of trade and collateral management processing the participants gains knowledge of and the ability to process trades such as Repo and Derivates transactions while managing the required collateral.
By completing this course you will be able to:
- Describe collateral & the purpose it serves
- Identify the various transaction types requiring collateral
- Identify the different types of collateral & their characteristics
- Understand the main collateral operational flow
- Learn how to derive collateral values and what impacts such values
- Be able to look at the risks in processing collateral and the controls to mitigate
- Appreciate the numerous collateral-related transaction types
- Describe the causes of exposure for financial institutions
- Describe the reasons for legal protection & associated documentation
- Identify the components in collateral call calculation
- Understand the rationale for making & receiving collateral calls
- Describe the handling of collateral substitution & income payments
- Identify the primary risks and mitigating controls throughout.
Who should attend?
The course is suitable for collateral management personnel who would benefit from understanding the ‘big-picture’, those who have had limited exposure to collateral but who require a greater understanding of the relationships between their work and collateral and those who have recently been transferred to the collateral management department.
This course is certified by ICMA and the ICMA Centre, Henley Business School, University of Reading and accredited by CPD® Certification Service.
ICMA recommends that 20 learning hours can be associated with this course, based on attended/undertaken hours of study required to successfully complete the learning outcomes.
A Certificate of Attendance will be awarded to those who meet the minimum attendance requirements for this course.
ICMA is a member of the CPD® Certification Service and approved by the Securities & Futures Commission of Hong Kong as provider of Continuous Professional Training (CPT).
Please note that your course certificate of attendance or completion should be sufficient to satisfy any professional development requirements – if you require further evidence, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The course content is divided into several topic areas, which are then broken down into multiple subtopics:
- Fundamental Collateral Concepts
Definition and purpose of collateral
Why the increased focus on collateral?
Overview of the collateral life-cycle
- Types of Collateral
Collateral impact on regulatory capital: overview
- Transaction Types Necessitating Collateral
Securities lending and borrowing
Secured cash borrowing and lending
Cash borrowing at CSDs and custodians
Tri-party collateral services
- Legal Protection
Necessity of legal protection
Credit support annexes
ECB valuation haircuts
- Static Data
Concepts of static data
Concepts of STP
Static data and STP in collateral management
- The Collateral Life-cycle
Throughout lifetime of trade
Collateral call calculation
Making and receiving collateral calls
Income and corporate actions
- The Collateral Management Function
Overview of responsibilities
Centralised collateral function
Cost centre vs. profit centre
- Current Initiatives
Clearing of OTC derivatives
The regulators’ perspective
Regulatory changes: overview
Central clearing and collateral management
ICMA courses are delivered via video conferencing accessed on our digital learning platform, using the most effective pedagogical approaches and incorporating interactive functions like virtual breakout rooms.
The Collateral Management livestreamed sessions are delivered in four 3.5 hour sessions over the course of two weeks. You will be given access to the course materials a week before the live sessions, and will have access to those for a total of three months from the first live session. During these three months you will have the option to keep working through the course materials at your own pace.
Livestreamed course fees
Members: EUR 1,850 + VAT (if applicable)
Non-members: EUR 2,390 + VAT (if applicable)
For security reasons, delegates who have not registered in advance will not be admitted to the live sessions.
- All payments must be made in Euro.
Should you have any queries, please contact email@example.com.