Green bonds which finance projects with environmental benefits have passed the $1trillion dollar milestone for the amount issued since the first ever green bond in 2007. Fast growth in this market sector is driving unprecedented demand for skilled professionals and for targeted training in the fundamentals of the products and the application of the Green and Social Bond Principles, the foundation for green and social bond issuance.
Like the classroom course, our livestreamed option gives you a deep understanding of the mechanics of green, social and sustainability bonds, taking you from the big picture policy context to introducing the underlying drivers of market development, main product features and regulation. We will talk about the Green and Social Bond Principles, the Sustainability Bond Guidelines and the new Sustainability-Linked Bond Principles and explain how they work in practice, including evaluation and selection of eligible projects for funding, the role of external reviewers and guidance on reporting. The course is illustrated with examples from the market, getting you ready to apply the knowledge at work and includes quiz questions for each module to ensure you're following the content.
By completing this course you will be able to:
- Identify recent trends and potential future developments and opportunities for green, social and sustainability bonds
- Discuss why the market matters and how it works
- Understand foundation skills for taking part in the GSS bond market - how and why to align with and apply the Principles, including:
- Benefits of GSS bonds and developing the positioning in your organisation
- Decision-makers: Identifying who is relevant
- Strategy: Alignment with overall corporate / environmental strategy
- Regulation: The Principles’ importance in regulatory trends
- Players: Mapping leading market players
- Identify principles aligned issuance framework: 4 pillars of GSS bonds
- Define green and social: Types of projects eligible for GSS bonds
- Recognise reporting frameworks: Recommendations and practice in reporting, including allocation and impact reports, and templates offered by the GBP SBP
- Understand external reviews and other services: The role and value-added of service providers, notably external reviews foreseen by the GBP SBP and increasingly by regulators
- Identify perspectives and roles of the key players in the GSS bond market including –regulators, investors, underwriters, issuers, external reviewers including rating agencies, stock exchanges, data and index providers.
Who should attend?
- Firms who are looking to issue or invest in green, social and sustainability bonds.
- Market professionals involved in underwriting, research or professional services for sustainable bonds; this includes capital markets lawyers, external reviewers including rating agencies, stock exchanges, data and index providers official sector representatives promoting, supervising or developing policies on sustainable finance.
- Press, academics and other professionals with an interest in sustainable finance and the merits of sustainable bond markets.
This course has been accredited by the CPD® Certification Service and approved by the Securities & Futures Commission of Hong Kong for Continuous Professional Training (CPT).
ICMA recommends that 24 learning hours can be associated with this course, based on attended/undertaken hours of study required to successfully complete the learning outcomes.
Please note that your course certificate of attendance or completion should be sufficient to satisfy any professional development requirements – if you require further evidence, please contact us at email@example.com.
ICMA Members: EUR 1,150 + VAT (if applicable)
Non-members: EUR 1,650 + VAT (if applicable)
Course Syllabus TBC
ICMA livestreamed courses are delivered via video conferencing accessed on our digital learning platform, using the most effective pedagogical approaches and incorporating interactive functions like virtual breakout rooms.
The Introduction to Sustainable Bonds live sessions are delivered in three 3.5 hour sessions over the course of three days. You will be given access to the course materials before the live sessions, and will have access to those for a total of six months. During these six months you will have the option to keep working through the course materials at your own pace.
Livestreamed course fees
ICMA Members: EUR 1,550 + VAT (if applicable)
Non-members: EUR 2,050 + VAT (if applicable)
For security reasons, delegates who have not registered in advance will not be admitted to the live sessions.
- All payments must be made in Euro.
Should you have any queries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.